Before you begin your graphic organizer, download and read the article below to see how Edna disagrees with the fundamental choices of certain characters in the novel, particularly Madame Ratignolle, and how her death is "giving the unessential."
- For this activity, you and your partner will use Popplet to create a Concept Map.
- Your content map will address one of our major learning objectives: Students will demonstrate an understanding of character development as well as complex character relationships.
- The complex relationships between Edna and the other characters in The Awakening are a major factor in Edna's death at the end of the novel. How do her relationships with others contribute to her death? Your Concept Map will show your interpretation.
- Your Popplet must include at least four characters you believe either directly or indirectly contributed to Edna's death. Include one quote from the text you believe backs up your claim and a short explanation of why you think Edna's relationship with this character was ultimately toxic for her.
- Each individual Popple will have the name of the student who created it.
Concept Map Example
Use the rubric provided below to assess your work to ensure maximum points.